Do you spend enough time searching and choosing keywords? The SEO positioning strategy of any page on the Internet begins with the search and selection of keywords. For that reason, unfortunate decisions at this stage of the process will compromise our subsequent actions.
Let’s get down to work … How should we proceed?
Searching For Keyword Ideas
- Our previous experience in the sector can give us some idea of how searches are carried out.
- The internal search engine of our website. What do users look for on our own page? We can use all this information to create a database with interesting terms.
- The attractive keywords for our competition. The paid version of SEMrush shows us the keywords for which our competition is positioned and, more importantly, those words for which you are paying in Google Adwords. If they are so important for our competition to pay … Why should not they also interest us?
- The Google Keyword Tool has a section called precisely ” Ideas for keywords ” that provides us with terms that may be of interest to us.
- Google Instant suggests results as we write. For example, if we write “Master in Digital Marketing” Google will autocomplete the search by proposing alternatives.
- Google Suggest: when you perform a search, Google itself shows you related terms that we can incorporate into our database.
The Volume Of Searches, Key In The Choice Of Keywords
What are the best keywords regarding SEO positioning? Those that for the highest level of searches have a lower level of competence.
In this section, we will measure the level of searches for the keywords that we have identified in the previous stage. To do this, we enter our database in the Google Keyword Tool. What magnitudes interest us?
- Global or local searches? It will depend on the scope of action of the page. If you only sell in Spain, you should choose the level of monthly local searches.
- Broad, phrase or exact? Personally, I am interested only in the broad and exact. One of the main SEO errors is to ignore the level of searches in exact match. Let’s see it as an example: if we are interested in optimizing the terms “time management” and only attend to the broad agreement, we will find it a very attractive term (18100 searches). However … in the specific deal, there are barely 22 searches per month.
In short, we will download the level of searches in broad agreement and exact match and will incorporate an Excel spreadsheet.
What Is The Level Of Competence Of Each Keyword?
Now we are interested in analyzing the level of competence for each keyword as it will determine the difficulty of positioning each keyword in question. How do we measure this magnitude?
If you have a subscription to SeoMoz, you will have access to the ” Keyword Difficulty ” tool. Using a determined algorithm this tool offers you a consistent value on the difficulty of positioning each keyword. It is a very reliable tool … but it is paid.
We can also measure the level of competition of the keywords using the advanced Google search commands. Specifically, we will be interested in three values:
- The global competition, so easy to get as search keywords in Google. It is a very generic value that includes those results that contain the keywords that we enter.
- The competition in the title (using the operator all in title: keywords ) will return the results that provide all the words that we have specified in the title. This indicator will be more realistic than the previous one regarding the level of competence.
- The competition in URL (using the command all in url: keywords ) returns the results that contain in your URL all the keywords that we indicate. Be careful with the accents: most of the URLs are friendly and do not provide accents and if you search, for example, all in url: SEO optimization Google will show you those results that contain the accent in your URL losing validity as an indicator of the competition.
Note, I would like to point excuse that the results of these commands are not always standard depending, among other things, on the browser and monitor from which the search is performed.
It is not enough to measure the level of competition. It is adapted to analyze the quality of it. For example, although for a certain keyword the level of competing pages is reduced if the top ten is maintained by domains at the level of Wikipedia, it is unlikely that we will be able to position our content there.
In short, it is convenient to check against whom we are going to compete for the first positions.
And now … With what keywords do we stay?
The moment of truth came in our keyword search process. After dumping all the information previously obtained in an Excel document the question is inevitable: With what keywords do we stay?
Unfortunately, I am afraid that no magic formula concludes which are the most attractive keywords. It will depend to a high extent on our intuition, our criteria, our previous experience and, of course, our common sense.
- The use of indicators to measure the attractiveness of each keyword. These signs take into account the level of broad concordance searches and competition. There are numerous formulas to obtain them and it depends on each professional. It is very generalized to raise the level of searches squared and divide it by the pages of the competition. As you can imagine, high values will indicate a higher attractiveness.
- Criterion, experience and common sense: when you dedicate yourself to SEO positioning you will usually end up choosing to trust more in your own personal principles and your experience in other similar situations before in the indicators.
As we expected at the start of the article, a wrong choice of keywords will compromise the rest of your web positioning strategy. Are you willing to spoil it? If you want to learn Improve The Positioning Of Your Content In Google Search Results, click on the link.